Ministries opened to YOU! Register today!

Friday 16 January 2009

Sara Lee-Reason to go for Missions

For the past few years that Youth Alive! has sent mission teams to Sarawak, I would be back here, patiently anticipating their return. Each time they come back, they never fail to bring with them a truckload of pictures, stories, experiences and testimonies. I would merely be fascinated or amused by their stories and experiences. Though I knew they changed lives and did very well there, I didn’t really believe I had to go with them. Probably because I was so satisfied and comfortable with everything I have here.



This year, everything fell in place for me to go. And go, I did. I didn’t really put much thought into it because to me, this was something I needed to just add to my belt of achievements. The most I did was worry of how would I be put into good use there. I could never have been more wrong as I was soon to discover. I need not have worried about how He was going to use me.



The hiking was an adventure to me. The outdoors really wasn’t foreign territory to me. So the hiking was quite fun. Though at times we really did feel like just sitting down and letting go. Rolling ourselves after our bags down the hill would have been much easier. But here’s where I learnt Lesson #1. It always pays to give your best to God. When I felt I couldn’t go on or when I was overcome with my physical deficiencies, all I needed to do was look around. Because when I do, I see others pushing on. I see them going strong, fighting the battle. Fighting for the same cause as I was. Seeing them push on, gives me that extra push to continue. For that is when I remember that we’re doing all these with one sole purpose that deserves all we have. We never know when our actions serve as encouragement to our fellow patriots.



Even when it came to service time, we would be exhausted from that day’s hike, putting us in no position to give our best. But that’s where I learnt to really draw the needed strength from God because there is really nothing and no one else to depend on. When we did and pushed on, we were well rewarded by how He touched the people. Because when we gave our all to bless them in all our actions, we were blessed even more to see the fruits of our labor or the seeds planted. Each time we reach a long house, nothing melts us and rewards us more than to see the people readily welcoming us, giving all that they have and the kids running about excitedly with a smile etched on each of their faces, letting us know it was all worth it.



There’s no better place to get to know this person you call God than when it’s only you and Him. Being in the mission field, we get thrown off our perfect little island. We’re capable of feeling so comfortable back home because we have everything built revolving around ourselves. Our friendships, amenities, possessions, leaders which we are able to work around. But there, we’re stripped of all these things that we hide behind. We’re forced to face our fears and doubts, which finally will show how much we have actually depended on God. Without things for us to hide behind, we rise up, finding our place and faith. All these caused me to realize that most of the time, the biggest distraction and obstruction is actually myself. I learnt to reach out to Him and no one else.



There are so many more things I have got out of this trip. All the firsts too; like preaching, hiking in the rain, bathing in the river and loads more of all those. Many more things I have learnt to deal with and learn. Things that we see on top of the hills, in the long houses, the heart of giving and simplicity in the people there proved to be such a humbling experience as we are reminded of how the same God that created all of it created us and there are just no limitations to Him. Not forgetting the friendships and laughter. Something that will bind us uniquely and strongly having shared this Sarawak experience together.

Out of all this, He deserves to be glorified. I went; He Conquered and He brought me back. Now together we’re going to continue in the mission fields of our everyday lives. This year, I finally have my side of the story to tell. I have experiences to talk about. Pictures and testimonies to share. But I will say the same as all have said, “Go for mission trip.” For all that I have learnt, no less will you see and learn because He is the same God every year and everywhere. I would not have traded this to conclude 2008 for anything else, for this will be engraved and etched in my heart indefinitely.

No comments: